Last updated: June 9, 2020
We (“EHA”) process personal data from our members, participants, grantees and other contact persons, in order to provide our services in the best way possible. Our services are ultimately aimed at completing our mission towards a cure for all blood disorders. This statement explains how and why we are processing personal data. This privacy statement relates to all our processes involving personal data.
For any questions on how we protect your personal data, you can always contact us by e-mail email@example.com or telephone +31703020099.
Who we are
The European Hematology Association (“EHA”) is a non-profit membership organization (association) for individuals with an active interest in the field of hematology. Our Executive Office is located at Koninginnegracht 12b, 2514 AA The Hague, the Netherlands.
Which personal data we collect
Depending on the type of services you use from us, we collect the following personal data:
Name, address, gender, phone number, e-mail address, date of birth, country of residence, profession, organization of employment, country of residence, pictures, participation details for the Congress and / or Meetings, including payment details, CV, publications, disclosures, and travel information.
Why we process personal data
We process personal data most of the time because we have a legitimate interest:
- Membership and related services. In our membership database, we record personal data such as name, address, contact details, profession, date of birth and country of residence. We do this in order to process and manage your membership and provide you with our services, and all the activities and benefits related thereto, in the best way we can. Date of birth is for example processed because we provide different types of membership depending on age (early career discount). We will also email you in relation to your membership and if you agree, will email you about our activities we believe are of interest to you.
- Registration for meetings. We need your name and contact details in order to provide you with information on the meetings. We organize meetings on different hematological topics and in different countries. Therefore, profession and country of residence are processed.
- Promotional purposes. We send promotional mailings in order to obtain new members, sponsors, registrations and faculty for Congress and meetings, partnerships with other organizations and any other relevant contact persons.
- Information about EHA. We also send mailings like EHA Newsletters and updates by email on general activities related to our mission, Annual Congress, Education, Research and Publications for which you can subscribe (opt-in). You can always change this (opt-out) for (one of the categories of) our mailings via the unsubscribe link in each of our mailings. For specific mailings, it is not possible to opt-out as we need to communicate certain information to our members and or participants.
Some of the personal data is processed based on compliance with a legal obligation (e.g. in relation with tax authorities).
Your privacy rights
You have certain rights in order to be assured of the protection and privacy of your personal data. These rights are:
- Right of access: You can ask us which personal data we are processing about you and to obtain access to these personal data. We will provide an overview of your personal data and will also provide you with specific information about the processing of your personal data, including but not limited to information re. the purposes of the processing of your personal data, to which recipients or categories of recipients your personal data have been or will be disclosed, the envisaged retention periods that apply to your personal data and if the personal data are not collected from you, any available information as regard to their source.
- Right to rectification: You can request us to modify your personal data in case you believe that your personal data are not up to date, complete or accurate.
- Right to erasure (‘right to be forgotten’): Under certain circumstances, you may ask for erasure of your personal data.
- Right to restriction: Under certain circumstances, you have the right to restrict the processing of (certain) personal data.
- Right to data portability: Under certain circumstances, you can ask us to transmit the personal data that you have provided to us and we still hold about you to you in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, e.g. to be able to send it to a third party.
- Right to object: Under certain circumstances, you have the right to object to any processing of personal data that EHA justifies on the legitimate interests legal processing ground. When you object to the processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes, we will always respect this request.
- Right to withdraw your consent: If the processing of your personal data is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of the processing of your personal data prior to the withdrawal of your consent.
In order to exercise your rights you can contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or by post via:
2514 AA The Hague
In doing so, please indicate which processing activities or which personal data your request relates to. In order to prevent that we disclose information to the wrong person, we can ask you for additional information to verify your identity. In principle, we will inform you of whether we can comply with your request, within one month after receipt. In specific cases, for example when it concerns a complex request, this term may be extended by two months. We will inform you of such an extension within one month after receiving your request. On the basis of the applicable privacy legislation, we can refuse your request under certain circumstances. If this is the case, we will explain to you why. You can find more information about your privacy rights on the website of the Dutch Data Protection Authority.
You can always contact us via email@example.com if you have any other questions and/or comments about the processing of your personal data by EHA.
If you have a complaint about the processing of your personal data by EHA, we will do our utmost best to resolve it with you. If this does not lead to the desired result, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the competent supervisory authority. In the Netherlands, this is the Dutch Data Protection Authority. If you live or work in another country of the European Union, you can file a complaint with the supervisory authority in that country.
We store your personal data as long as we deem necessary for the proper fulfillment of our services, unless the data must be kept longer under a statutory regulation.
All personal data is protected by state of the art methods recommended by reputable IT Security agencies.
We make use of different service providers in order to carry out our services who need to process your personal data. We will ensure that they do this in agreement and in accordance with our instructions.
We do not transfer your personal data to countries outside the EU. In case we do so, we will ensure that your personal data is processed in line with the GDPR.
We never sell or provide personal data to third parties for commercial purposes. Personal data is only provided to affiliated third parties in order for us to execute our services.
We reserve the right to regularly review and, where necessary update this Privacy Statement and will always post the most recent version of this Privacy Statement on our website.